Summer 2019 Program Registration – Polk County 4-H
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
What a winter semester we had at Polk County 4-H! Each club was completely full, and many even had a waiting list. We hope to build on that enthusiastic response to offer even more exciting learning and growth opportunities this summer.
4-H Summer Programs for Ages 5-18
Betsy Jeff Penn 4-H Camp – During this week-long residential camp for ages 8–14, campers will have the opportunity to participate in canoeing, crafts, swimming, hiking, field games, ropes course, shooting sports, and much, much more. In the evening, campers will have unique and high-energy programs and shows that will provide nonstop entertainment. Combine all this with delicious meals and a fun, caring, and highly qualified staff, and you have a week of camp that your child will remember for years to come. Dates: 6/30-7/5. Cost: $420 For more info on camp, and to obtain the registration form, visit our post, Everything You Wanted to Know About 4-H Camp.
4-H Goat Project (PROGRAM IS NOW FULL) – With the much-awaited addition of goats to our complex, we are looking forward to introducing them to our youth via a new goat club! In this club, youth ages 9-18 will learn about the different types of goats, their uses, goat care and first aid, and showmanship. The club will run weekly through the summer, and then once school begins, hours will be adjusted. Please note that this club requires a commitment. Do not register unless your child has clearly shown interest and is willing and able to attend all club meetings. Dates: 6/13, 6/20, 7/11, 7/18, 8/1, 8/15, and 8/22. Time: 9–11 a.m. Materials Cost: $5
4-H Cloverbud Camp – Cloverbuds are 4-H youth ages 5-8. At each camp session, participants will investigate a different topic including: Passport to Travel, Building and Tinkering, Mad Science, and Cooking. Dates: 6/14, 6/21, 7/12, and 7/19. Time: 10 a.m.–noon Materials Cost: $15
Kids in the Kitchen (PROGRAM IS NOW FULL) – This class for youth ages 8-11 will help them learn their way around the kitchen. It includes all of the ingredients to make a tasty breakfast, lunch, and dinner while learning plenty of helpful skills along the way. Dates: 6/17, 6/18, and 6/19. Time: 9 a.m.–noon Materials Cost: $15
Sewing Class – For boys or girls new to sewing or with only a bit of experience, this two-day workshop is for you. Youth ages 9-18 will focus on completing a quilted wall hanging that can be entered in the NC Mountain State Fair. Dates: 7/9 and 7/10. Time: 10 a.m.–noon. Materials Cost: $10
Junior Gardening Camp – It’s hard to get more hands-on than with horticulture! In this camp, youth ages 10-14 will study various horticultural subjects, methods, and techniques while working in the Extension Demonstration Garden. They will even be preparing lunch using some of the garden harvest! This weeklong camp will be filled with indoor and outdoor activities, as well as field trips to the Mountain Horticultural Research Station, a nursery, a botanical garden, and a hike at Crowder Mountain to explore the native flora. Lunch will be provided daily. Dates: 6/24-6/28. Time: 9 a.m.–2 p.m. Cost: $75
Teen Career Exploration Camp – This weeklong career exploration program provides youth ages 12-18 with the opportunity to explore various occupation options (along with their educational requirements). In addition, teens will learn some of the soft-skills and workplace etiquette that will make them stand out in their chosen careers. Camp activities will include multiple field trips, including touring county government facilities and local industries that are employment options in our region. Dates: 8/5-8/8 Time: 9 a.m.–2 p.m. Cost: $35
- EARLY REGISTRATION: Families with active 4Honline.com profiles AS OF APRIL 1, 2019, can register starting Friday, April 26.
- General Registration: Summer registration will open to the general public on Friday, May 3.
As was true for Winter registration, summer sign-ups will be on a first come, first served basis.
How to Register:
- Download and print out the Summer Registration Form and bring it by our office at 79 Carmel Drive in Columbus, or mail it to Polk County 4-H at PO Box 477, Columbus, NC 28722 (we also have copies available at our offices)
- OR you can complete our online registration form. We will follow up to confirm your registration once we have received it. (If you do not receive email confirmation from us within 1-2 business days, please assume that your registration was not submitted successfully.)
- Payments for any program fees should be made within 7 business days of confirmation of registration.
- Payment may be made by CASH OR CHECK ONLY.
- Payment can be submitted in person at the Cooperative Extension of Polk County or by mail to: Polk County 4-H, PO Box 477, Columbus, NC 28722
- Checks may be made payable to “Polk County 4-H“
- If 4-H program fees would prevent your child from participating in a 4-H Summer opportunity, your child may be eligible for a partial scholarship. Scholarship applications may be obtained at the Cooperative Extension of Polk County offices.
Does your child have friends who would enjoy these 4-H offerings? Please use the links at the top of this post to share it with them by email or social media!