Healthy Recipe: Homemade Turkey Soup
What better way to use those turkey leftovers than for a comforting, warm soup that is also good for you? If you have extra turkey after your holiday gatherings, put it in this homemade turkey soup recipe.
Homemade Turkey Soup
Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2 quarts)
● 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 10- to 12-pound turkey)
● 2 quarts water
● 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
● 1/2 teaspoon salt
● 2 bay leaves
● 1 cup chopped carrots
● 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
● 1/3 cup chopped celery
● 1/4 cup chopped onion
1. Place the turkey carcass in a stockpot; add the water, onion, salt and bay leaves. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
2. Remove carcass; cool. Strain broth and skim fat. Discard onion and bay leaves. Return broth to a large pot. Add the carrots, rice, celery and chopped onion; cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender.
3. Remove turkey from bones; discard bones and cut turkey into bite-size pieces. Add turkey back to pot and heat through.