Healthy Reboot: Salmon Burgers Recipe
Remember that old standby of mom’s–“salmon patties?” This recipe takes the flavor and the health benefits of this perennial favorite up a notch…just in time for National Nutrition Month.
- 1 pound of canned salmon, skin and bones removed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (more if you really like ginger)
- ½ tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon Sriracha (or other hot sauce; adapt this for your heat preference)
- 2 – 4 tablespoons chopped green onions
- A few grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- Olive oil for cooking the burgers
- Process salmon, ginger, soy sauce, Sriracha, green onions, and pepper in a food processor until well blended. Place the salmon mixture in a bowl.
- Stir in the egg and panko.
- Make 4 patties from the mixture.
- Refrigerate for an hour or so (optional).
- Lightly oil a non-stick skillet.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side.
- Test internal temperature to 145º-150º F.
Serves 4; Serving Size: 1 burger
Prep Time: 15 minutes; Chill Time (Optional): 1 hour
Cook Time: 10 minutes; Total Time: 25 minutes- 1 hour 25 minutes